That’s exactly what your business is if your marketing doesn’t reinvent itself in the new economy.
The old methods are no longer the best methods. The truth is your prospects are more informed and more skeptical of marketing messages than ever before.
To make matters worse, your customers are bombarded with marketing messages from the time they wake until their weary heads hit the pillow.
You need to offer your buyers and prospect content that appeals to them as consumers and helps them make educated buying decisions.
The good news is there are proven marketing strategies that cut through the marketing noise. These marketing strategies grow businesses and position you as the clear leader in your marketplace.
So without any further ado, here are five marketing strategies ANY business can use to grow in 2015 and beyond:
1. Target the right prospects: You wouldn’t try to catch a mouse with a steak would you?
Yet, time and time again, businesses continue to waste their hard earned marketing budgets on prospects that fall outside their target market. What’s worse is that these are often the same business owners who proclaim marketing doesn’t work.
Here’s an example: The other day, I received a postcard from a local business with a picture of a ‘57 Chevy with a headline that read:
“Remember The 50’s?”
Uh… no, I sure don’t. I was born in the 70’s.
The simple fact is, no matter how great your marketing tactics are, they’ll never overcome poor strategy. Know your audience. Find them and they’ll find you.
2. Be different: Regardless of what you sell, your product or service must have something that sets it apart from every other product and service in your marketplace.
Why should your prospect buy your products or services versus any other competitive product or services on the market?
One of the easiest ways to figure out what makes your products and services remarkable, is to use a legal pad and brainstorm every fact, feature, benefit, and promise your products and services claim to offer.
Then repeat this process for each of your competitors.
Once you’ve finished all the lists, prioritize each of them in order of importance from your prospects’ point of view and figure out what makes your business different. Identify what you do best as well as what could use some work. This will help you gain perspective.
3. Use a multi-step lead generation process: Qualified leads are the lifeblood of any business and multi-step lead generation allows you to identify these qualified prospects by separating them from less zealous seekers.
Here’s how it works:
Your prospect is asked to leave their contact information in exchange for some sort of educational information about your products and services, most likely an eBook, document, or other resource.
Now you have the contact information for a potential consumer who has demonstrated enough interest in your product or service that they’re willing to provide you with their information. They’re a qualified lead.
Multi-step lead generation can help t0 grow businesses in the following ways:
- Creates a consistent and predictable system for generating new and pre-qualified leads.
- Allows you to focus on qualified prospects while eliminating tire kickers and Looky-loos.
- Establishes you as an expert in your marketplace.
- Allows you to consistently and systematically follow up with your prospects with additional marketing messages.
4. Leverage your existing customers: One of the best ways to grow your business is to maximize your current customer value.
Three ways to grow your business by maximizing your current customer value are:
- Sell more: If you run a marketing business, can you offer website design, content creation, SEO services or social media account management?
- Referral programs: Getting random referrals are great but the real secret to growing your business is creating a predictable and systemized method for generating referrals on a consistent basis.
- Reactivate: You probably have customers who have not bought from you in awhile, right? Why not make a special offer to these “lost customers” and bring them back into the fold?
5. Know your numbers: Before launching any marketing campaign you have to establish the following three metrics:
- Goals: You need to determine how much revenue or how many leads you want to generate. Otherwise how will you know if your marketing campaign was successful? Make sure your goal is reasonable, achievable and measurable.
- Tactics: Are the marketing tactics you plan on using capable of achieving your goals? For example, it’s probably not a good idea to use email marketing if you want to sell 1000 units and you only have 950 names on your internal email list. Otherwise, you’re setting yourself up to fail.
- Tracking: How will you measure the effectiveness of your marketing campaign? You can’t track what you don’t measure. Will you send your prospects to a specific landing page on your website to download a free report? Will you ask them to call a special phone number or perhaps enter a special coupon code when ordering? Tracking how prospects enter and leave your site can help you razor-focus on those products which are the most likely to be in demand for your audience.
There you have it, five proven marketing strategies you can use to grow your business in 2016 and beyond.
The businesses owners that implement these proven marketing strategies will position themselves as true marketplace leaders.